Marriage Preparation Programs
Steps for a joy-filled marriage preparation:
- As soon as possible after your engagement, contact your parish and set up a meeting with a priest or deacon. Send initial information to email@example.com to start your file.
- As couples prepare for marriage, each party completes an online assessment known as the FOCCUS Inventory. (FOCCUS stands for “Facilitate Open, Caring, Communication, Understanding and Study.”) The parish will register you and your fiancé and you will be notified via email and provide individual instruction on logging into your inventory session. After the online assessment is completed, the engaged couple meets with their presider or with a married couple who has been trained in facilitating dialog based on the results of the assessment.
- Complete one of the following formational programs (required!) check with your presider for your parish requirements before registering:
- Complete a course in Natural Family Planning through one of the following NFP providers (recommended!):
- Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Pray as a couple daily
If you find other programs and wonder if they would be acceptable, please contact Fr Len Fecko. It would be great to learn of other programs that are useful for couples!
Marriage Preparation Outside the Archdiocese of Cincinnati
Couples that participate outside the Archdiocese of Cincinnati will comply with all requirements of the respective (arch)diocese. Your completed marriage file will be forwarded to the local (arch)diocese and in turn forwarded to the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. Couples are urged to track their file through this process to ensure receipt by HCI.
Remember: NO MARRIAGE FILE – NO WEDDING – NO EXCEPTIONS
Other Information Resources
An initiative of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, this website offers a large variety of information related to marriage in general as well as Catholic marriage in particular.